To anyone who has made the trip, it’s not a surprise that Maui’s “Road to Hana” was named as one of America’s top 10 road trips. As Hana Highway unwinds after seeping through the surfer Mecca of Paia, drivers will relish the next few hours as some of the best driving in America lays ahead of you. Here are a few tips for those making the joyful venture:
- Don’t fool yourself into thinking that this will be a short drive through Maui’s north shore, this will be an all day event (and one which will live in your memory for the rest of your life).
- At the halfway point (it is well-marked), stop at Aloha island Shaved Ice. It is one of the best shaved ice places in Hawaii and certainly the best in Maui. After this point, the driving fun will begin.
- Take turns at the wheel as this is a very fun road to drive, specially for those ready for a challenge. 600 hairpin turns will test your reflexes as much as the traffic will test your patience.
- Stop at the many roadside stands, you will find remarkably fresh produce, bread, and collectibles (some of which are worthy of happily displaying at home).
- Take the time to stop along any of the pristine waterfalls that adorn the Road to Hana. Hiking trails abound, but use caution and common sense (this is not a ‘walk in the park’).
- While you are at it, continue on to the Seven Sacred Pools (O’heo Gulch). It is one of the hidden wonders of the world and well worth the trip. Imagine dipping in a relaxing, calm, fresh water pool with the ocean as your soundtrack.
- If you are able, stay the night. Hearing Hana come to life will truly heighten your experience to another level.
This world-famous adventure is a must for any visitor and resident of the Valley Isle. Live Aloha, visit Hana.